Home > Life as I know it, Rock Climbing > How Stella can cure a girl’s blues

How Stella can cure a girl’s blues

I have secretly wanted an International Scout or a beat up old Ford pick-up truck ever since I can remember. But, seeing as how these vehicles aren’t very practical, I have been driving around in my mid-sized car and making it somewhat of a habit to date guys with badass, sexy trucks to get my fix; my favorites being of the Toyota family.

Now I know this will sound very stereotypical, but it seems to me that the quintessential outdoor vehicle for chicks is a Jeep, and for dudes, it is a truck. So for a long time it never really occurred to me to have my own truck. I was content to date guys that had trucks. I mean, don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t exactly criteria, but it definitely helped their case.

I was also content to use other people’s rope and quickdraws when sport climbing. I told myself, naw, I don’t need to buy my own, I’ll just date guys that have all of the gear I’ll need.
So you see my flaw. I had made myself dependant on other people, usually men, to: 1. Climb anywhere outside. 2. Access remote climbing areas. I’ll admit, I may be slow at times, but I usually come around to reason and I now see that this is totally wack.

I pride myself on my independence. I love having my own place and am not eager to jump into a relationship just because a hot guy looks my way. Oh no, I am really picky and if the earth doesn’t move, it’s not worth it to me. So this behavior just did not fit me at all. I have been told by guys that I am intimidating. I don’t try to be. I am just me and know what I want. If they can’t keep up, or are insecure, it’s not my problem. So what was my problem? Why was I acting like Climber-Chick-Cinderella waiting for her knight to ride up in his Shining-Toyota-Armor to escort her to the crag? Ick. Things had to change and fast.

Rest assured this botched up fairy tale does have a happy ending. I am now the proud owner of a Petzl Nomad rope, half a dozen Black Diamond Hotwire draws, and, my pride and joy, Stella Blue. That’s right; I bought a 2008 Toyota Tacoma, who is so sexy and badass! But, most importantly: Mine. All, mine.

1. Greg
    May 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm | #1

Awesome! Congratulations! Tacomas are the best crag vehicle! Now, you just need one of these: http://annarbor.craigslist.org/pts/2386131606.html

• May 18, 2011 at 12:24 am | #2

lol. It’s so easy to spend other people’s money ;) No, seriously, I do want a cap, but it will have to wait at least a year.

2. May 18, 2011 at 5:30 pm | #3

Bah, everyone knows that women drive Lesbarus ;)

• May 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm | #4

lol. Believe it or not, I have just recently learned about this term. The lesbian friend that informed me of it had a good chuckle at my expense :)

3. May 18, 2011 at 9:18 pm | #5

Damn…I just bought an explorer. Knew I should have gone with a truck! I do have quick-draws, though, so at least I have something to offer the ladies.

4. May 23, 2011 at 5:10 pm | #7

Excellent stuff! Sounds like both of us are not going to sit around and wait for someone else to make the climbing happen ;)

5. May 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm | #9

If you’re not careful, soon it will be the guys dating you for your truck and your rope! Somehow, it seems that my husband has every bit of equipment I’ve ever bought in his possession. My rope, my sleeping bag, my ice tools…granted, I’m not really needing them now at the moment, but just be warned! :)

• May 25, 2011 at 10:29 pm | #10

I can see how that could happen. Stella was for sure a star at the New River Rendezvous this past weekend. Me and my friend walked into the local gear shop and one of the guys working there said, “Hey, it”s the girls with the sweet truck!”

6. EJ
    July 14, 2011 at 4:52 am | #11

I invite you to check out the poll on “girls and trucks” I posted in the ladies’ forum at rockclimbing.com. Afterall, you were one of the number of females I had in mind when I decided it was a question worth asking.

Check out DreamInVertical.com for a super easy mod for your truck once you get a shell.

Cheers.